Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire (known as Ross until 1931) was
altered to its present name at the time of many boundary changes). For more information about Ross-on-Wye.
This bustling town has much to offer the visitor, besides an extensive range of shops,
there is a selection of hotels, pubs, cafes and restaurants with a variety foods and
prices to suit all.
In August there is the Ross International Festival and attracts many to the annual event.
St. Mary's Church - Ross-on-Wye
Amongst many places to visit is the church of St. Mary, this beautiful church with its magnificent spire of 280ft can be seen from many miles around. Dating back to 1280 it is built mainly in the decorated style, within the church there are some superb alabaster tombs with effigies, among these is the imposing tomb of Colonel William Rudhall 1530. He was a designer and builder and is depicted as a Roman soldier surrounded by members of his family. William Rudhall was Attorney General to King Henry VIII.
The "Man of Ross" John Kyrle 1637-1725 born at Dymock, the son of a
barrister he is well remembered in St.Mary's, he was a public benefactor and was
generous to the church, and is buried in the chancel. The gardens known as the 'aspect'
was his gift to the church. From these gardens there is a beautiful panoramic view of the
river Wye and of the Wye valley.
Among the most striking of the stained glass windows in St. Mary's, visitors should look
1. Bishop Spofford offering his heart to the Virgin Mary who is sat on the knee
of her mother St. Anne.
2. St. Haochim husband of Anne, he is bearded and holds a book
3. St. Ethebert the Saxon king
4. St.Thomas De Cantilupe Bishop of Hereford 1282
5. Joseph husband of Mary holding the baby Jesus( perhaps an early example of women's
In the churchyard stands a plague cross which marks the site of the burial place of 315
victims who were buried at night without coffins. Also to be found is the grave of Noele
Gordon the T.V. actress who died in 1985, she was well known for her appearances in the
T.V. soap "Crossroads".
The Market Hall - Ross-on-Wye
Built in 17th century it now houses the heritage centre, built in red sandstone it is
an imposing building believed to have been constructed on the instructions of Frances,
wife of the second Duke of Somerset. Set in the centre of the town it occupies the area were
the Medieval markets would have been held.
In amongst the exhibits is a World War 2 German bomb, it landed in the grounds of the
Chase Hotel in 1940, fortunately it failed to explode.
Admiral Lord Nelson is known to have sailed down the River Wye to Monmouth.
The river was used commercially from the early 14th century until the 1850s when
commercial traffic was moved to the railways.
Nowadays pleasure craft are the users of what is the 5th longest river in the country.
On Roads from Ross
Leaving Ross-on-Wye on the A449 road, many places of interest radiate from
For visitors who wish to spend time under cover when the weather is bad, or just wish
to browse the Factory Outlet store ‘Labels’ offers the opportunity to do just
Founded in 1991, there is a wide range of goods on offer, a restaurant gives shoppers
a chance to rest their feet and take refreshments with a full meal or just a drink.
Continuing on the A449 road towards Ledbury the tourist will be able to visit various
attractions en route.
Hole in the Wall
Is an old riverside settlement on the east bank of the River Wye in the English county of Herefordshire.
It is some five miles to the north of the town of Ross-on-Wye. It is part of the parish of Foy. The village of Foy is a mile to the west and is accessible by a footbridge over the Wye.
A popular area for walkers, at one time it had a Pub called The Old Anchor and Can, little more than an alehouse with scant facilities it closed many years ago.
How Caple Court Gardens
Signposted off the A449 road take the B4224 from where it is again signposted.
Eleven acres of landscape gardens dating from Edwardian times, they are set above
the River Wye with views towards the Forest of Dean.
Consisting of formal terraces a rose garden and an area of mature trees and shrubs
in natural settings it is a quiet and pleasant retreat.
There is a medieval church with a 16th century Diptych.
For those wishing to have refreshments, these can be obtained in the Courtyard Tearoom.
Open from 13th March to 15th October contact can be made by telephone 01989 740626.
Caple is also a wedding venue, with a licence to host marriages in the ancient barn - it
has proved to be a popular place for couples to tie the knot.
More info about How
Capel Court Gardens.
The Church of All Saints at Brockhampton
Continue on the B4224 to Brockhampton to visit this lovely church, in doing so visitors
one of only three thatched roof churches in the country.
Built at the turn of the 20th century it is constructed of fine stone and concrete.
It was built on the instructions of Alice Jordan, she was a daughter of Ebenezer Jordan
of Boston U.S.A who purchased Brockhampton Court as a present to Alice when
she married Mr. Arthur Forester.
Besides its attractive thatching the interior the church has much to please the eye,
it is considered to be pure Arts
The nave has steep arches and these spring low from the walls.
The glass is 20th century and is by Christopher Whall.
Two superb tapestries hang to the sides of the Altar and were designed by Sir Edwin Burne-Jones
and were made in the workshops of William
Morris founder of the Arts
and Crafts movement.
Lyne Down Farm -signposted on the A449
Situated on the edge of Marcle Ridge, Lyne
Down is well known for its Cider and Perry,
using fruit from its own orchards and also pears from 300 year old trees from Hellens House
at Much Marcle; these are used to make award winning Perry.
Using a traditional method of production with a wooden scratter mill and 120 year old
antique stone twin screw presses the extracted juice is then fermented in oak barrels until
it has matured for sale as draft or bottled.
It is possible to visit and see the process that takes place.
Normally open all year round from 10 am to 6 pm, it is possible to check by telephoning
Just near the road to Lyne
Down Farm, Kempley is
signposted. For visitors who enjoy seeing beautiful
churches then St. Mary's Parish Church is worth a visit, with its origins in Norman
times, its 12th century wall paintings have been carefully preserved and are a delight
By returning to the A449 road it is possible to visit the Weston
Cider Mill at
Much Marcle. Conducted tours of the mill take place regularly and visitors
are invited to sample the cider in the souvenir shop .
A bottle museum has on display a large collection of bottles from various parts
of the world.
There is a restaurant on site and adjacent to the mill there is the opportunity to
see a collection of rare breeds of cattle.
Weston Cider was founded in 1878 when Henry Weston started to farm at Bounds Farm.
Nearby is The Slip Tavern with its spacious gardens for outdoor dining when the weather
permits and comfortable dining area inside a conservatory and lounge area when the
weather is unsuitable. The Slip is an ideal place to have either a full meal or
bar snack from its extensive menu.
Located at Much Marcle near Ledbury. An historic fortified house that has its origins
in mediaeval times, it is open to the public on Wednesdays, Saturdays , Sundays and bank
holidays. It can also be viewed by special arrangement. More info about Hellens
The Walwyn Arms
Dates back to the 17th century, serves bar meals and has a full menu, it has a skittle
alley and a pool table.
The Royal Oak
This Inn was built in 1830, it has a function room, a skittle alley and serves bar
meals and a full menu is available.
Continuing on the A449 to Ledbury there is a picnic site , this is clearly signposted
and is on the outskirts of the town.